User

Delivery

• Time spent:
      6d 1h 59m 41s

• Total level:
    Awards
wiMGbhE.png

Firewall, Anti-Virus & Malware + Cleaners
There are a handful of things that keep you secure (your computer and personal information etc), you can look over the selected few that I've suggested, they more or less offer the same things (with a few differences{Read them}). They are all free as paying for protection is outdated - and you shouldn't be paying to keep your stuff secure when you shouldn't have to.

Firewalls

Anti-Virus

Anti-Malware

Maintenance Cleaners

Maintain a routine
If you want to keep your computer clean and secure, you have to maintain a routine to scan your computer and clean it out once in a while. Even if it's once a week - ALWAYS take precautions as anything could happen, you could accidentally click on a link or download something. At the very least do it once a month so you're sure that everything is updated and safe.

Run Anti-Virus scanner
Run Anti-Malware scanner
Run Maintenance cleaner

Follow instructions that are given in order for the software to do it's job.

Passwords
Okay, this is something people do ALL the time, especially when it comes to RSPS. Use something with numbers AND letters at the very least. If you have trouble remembering complex passwords with numbers in them. Write it down on a piece of paper - do NOT store it on your computer as if you happen to get infected your files would be at risk (therefore your passwords).

Note: Be sure to use different passwords for each game you play (self explanatory).

Unfamiliar Links & downloads
The online community is filled with a handful of people who will try to make you click on random links which can harm you computer. If a link looks 'funny' or unsafe, here's an idea, don't click on it - it's probably unsafe. Most hackers will disguise links into things such as:

Keyloggers
Java-Drive Bys
RATS (Remote Administration Tools)

These are things that CAN and WILL hack into your information, let alone your RSPS account (since keyloggers monitor your key strokes and tell the hacker what you are typing). RATS can take control of your computer without your permission, something like Teamviewer but without informing you. Java-Drive Bys can give you various viruses that you do not wish to have on your computer.

Bank and Account Pins
Alright, so this is more for the in-game aspect of safety. If your account happens to get hacked due to one of the things I've mentioned above, you'll more than likely complain like a child and THEN complain to the staff as to why they're not refunding you (to a certain extent). This isn't their fault - you're given plenty of options (that are provided by the server) which give your account security, such as bank pins/2fa etc. If you don't have one already then I highly suggest that you get one - this way if the hacker gets into your account they can't do much (your pin will stop then from opening your bank and taking everything that you worked hard for). Another thing that I highly suggest you do, is to change your pin number every now and then to something different (same with passwords) - this way if they have access to your account and you don't know they'll never get into your bank.

You can find Volta's Two-Factor Authentication guide here.

Staff Impersonation
Beware of people pretending to be staff. This happens a lot in Private Servers and new players (perhaps new to Runesape) can find themselves a victim of this. There's a list of staff members that assist the community, you can find the list by clicking here.

Crowns and signs next to their name indicate staff (though there are no crowns/signs on the forums there are said symbols in-game). We also have a public Discord server that anyone can join where members of staff are given ranks - if you need any kind of personal assistance feel free to message them there! You can join the Discord server by clicking here.

Lots of Love,

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:32 PM #2

Syzygy
User

Syzygy

• Time spent:
      10d 12h 19m 52s

• Total level:

Great guide, lot's of people should take the time to read this :)

DuG1F2s.png

5qMhBzA.png

6621306cbc1f990a0e39931fa8b97582.png

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:33 PM #3

Scotty Dont
Donator

Scotty Dont
Clan: [N/A]

• Time spent:
      11d 13h 2m 39s

• Total level:
    Awards

I like this guide. It looks nice and it's informative, however...

Some of those tools in the hands of those not so computer inclined might do more harm then good. 

I know CCleaner has an option to delete registries, which can be harmful if you don't know what you're deleting.

Besides that I hope people actually take your advice and secure theirselves and their forums/ingame/discord accounts. 2fa people!

Maybe in the future you can make a guide on each individual piece of software you linked and expand upon this guide.

- [Forums] - [My Profile] - [Message Me] - [Alora Guides] - [Misc Guides Index] - [Skill Guides Index]

Profile picture curtoesy of Vor

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:34 PM #4

Elvemage
User

Elvemage
Clan: 11:11

• Time spent:
      44d 19h 27m 2s

• Total level:
    Awards

Seems like you put much time into this - Very helpfull

I requesting this as sticky somewhere.

+1

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:34 PM #5

Tommy
Super Donator

Tommy

• Time spent:
      3d 22h 33m 25s

• Total level:
I always enjoy the layout of your guides; they're very informative too. Good job @Delivery.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:38 PM #6

kris
User

kris

• Time spent:
      10d 16h 31m 29s

• Total level:

i feel sorry for anyone who keylogs me and has to go through everything i type on a daily basis

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:15 PM #7

Killer
User

Killer
Clan: Shavers

• Time spent:
      2d 2h 40m 22s

• Total level:

Nice guide brother, as usual 

4b45a68dbdf4d1b6eb7fc5d6d249f14a.png

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:51 PM #8

Donator

• Total level:

MBAM and ESET is all you need

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:41 AM #9

New Zealand
Legendary Donator

New Zealand

• Time spent:
      13d 1h 48m 33s

• Total level:
    Awards
Good guide mate.

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:45 AM #10

middboyy
User

middboyy

• Time spent:
      1d 17h 38m 11s

• Total level:
Thanks for this guide very useful :)!

5e1adBx.png

2gt83fm.jpg

Need Any Help or have any questions? Shoot me a PM in game or on the forums :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users