Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:45 PM #1

OMGWTIFSTHIS
User

OMGWTIFSTHIS

• Time spent:
      10h 20m 30s

• Total level:

Hey guys,

I know this is going to be pretty hard to make a system out of, but would it be possible to introduce a referral system?

If you're not aware of what a referral is:

Someone invites someone who has never played to the game via a referral link, that member has successfully referred one member to Alora.

It will be exactly like this: http://www.alora.io/...p&tab=referrals

Except, that is for the forums ^

What I'm suggesting is have some reward system for members who have referred X amount of "active" players. An active player would be someone who has X amount of hours played, or perhaps X Total skill level.

Why would you want this? Because people will be more likely to advertise this server OUTSIDE of the "Top RSPS Lists" and have an actual reason to create advertisement videos on YouTube, create advertisements on forums or literally anywhere you could think of. The incentives will give players a reason to help Alora out. By incentives, I'm referring to perhaps XP bonus or some shop with points.

What do you guys think?

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:35 PM #2

Lun Lun
Ironman

Lun Lun

• Time spent:
      2d 4h 29m 34s

• Total level:

No thanks. Too easy to manipulate.

1PaybXO.jpg?1

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:57 PM #3

OMGWTIFSTHIS
User

OMGWTIFSTHIS

• Time spent:
      10h 20m 30s

• Total level:

No thanks. Too easy to manipulate.

How so? Only allow referrals from unique IPs and they must be active. Not too sure how you'd abuse that.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:52 PM #4

Syntax
Master Donator

Syntax

• Time spent:
      71d 13h 31m 54s

• Total level:
    Awards

I've seen it manipulated on numerous servers, there's no way to prevent it from what I've seen.

I wouldn't mind rewards being provided, but the rewards would have to be forum related, maybe a server icon for x amount ref

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:27 AM #5

Lun Lun
Ironman

Lun Lun

• Time spent:
      2d 4h 29m 34s

• Total level:

How so? Only allow referrals from unique IPs and they must be active. Not too sure how you'd abuse that.

IPs are easily masked. I get a different IP each time I connect to the internet. You can also just use proxies/VPNs.

There's no way to define active in programming. If it was based on time online or total skill level, you could just make a sock account and AFK/grind easy skills to get a free referral. You can't exactly make it so if they're not online after a certain time that it removes the bonuses since it's likely the player will have already taken advantage of them, you'd have to reroll their account to a very specific date and that's way more work than can be justified for what it achieves.

1PaybXO.jpg?1

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:59 PM #6

OMGWTIFSTHIS
User

OMGWTIFSTHIS

• Time spent:
      10h 20m 30s

• Total level:

IPs are easily masked. I get a different IP each time I connect to the internet. You can also just use proxies/VPNs.

There's no way to define active in programming. If it was based on time online or total skill level, you could just make a sock account and AFK/grind easy skills to get a free referral. You can't exactly make it so if they're not online after a certain time that it removes the bonuses since it's likely the player will have already taken advantage of them, you'd have to reroll their account to a very specific date and that's way more work than can be justified for what it achieves.

You have a dynamic IP, that is much different than using a proxy. Block all proxy header connections to the server. 

An example for an "active" member: 24 hours played, 1,000 total skill level. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't AFK on another account just to get a small prize. I'm not talking about referring 1 or 2 players, I'm talking hundreds. I'm not talking about them being physically active 100% of the time, I'm referring to reaching a milestone. You wouldn't reset the awards if one of the referred members quit the server. The original member referred a once active member of the game, they deserve to reap the benefits of it. We can still go deeper on the security of the program. We can use HWID, which uses many different system hardware system variables to create a unique identifier. You can also shoot it down by saying that you could mask the HWID, but would you personally go to that level to create several different accounts? DiD is what keeps every system you use safe and can be easily applied to anything if you have the knowledge.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:37 PM #7

Lun Lun
Ironman

Lun Lun

• Time spent:
      2d 4h 29m 34s

• Total level:

You have a dynamic IP, that is much different than using a proxy. Block all proxy header connections to the server. 

An example for an "active" member: 24 hours played, 1,000 total skill level. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't AFK on another account just to get a small prize. I'm not talking about referring 1 or 2 players, I'm talking hundreds. I'm not talking about them being physically active 100% of the time, I'm referring to reaching a milestone. You wouldn't reset the awards if one of the referred members quit the server. The original member referred a once active member of the game, they deserve to reap the benefits of it. We can still go deeper on the security of the program. We can use HWID, which uses many different system hardware system variables to create a unique identifier. You can also shoot it down by saying that you could mask the HWID, but would you personally go to that level to create several different accounts? DiD is what keeps every system you use safe and can be easily applied to anything if you have the knowledge.

Just because you wouldn't abuse it doesn't mean others wouldn't, especially if there were in-game benefits to be had.

You can change hardware ids, there is software that allows it. I'm not super familiar with how HWID works since I'm a software developer, not an IT professional, but there are always ways of getting around these identifiers.

The issue is also this: If you have to create very complex security systems simply to prevent people from abusing a feature, is the feature really worth having? From the sounds of it you'd have more damn code relating to preventing people from abusing the system than the system itself will have in it.

1PaybXO.jpg?1

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:19 PM #8

OMGWTIFSTHIS
User

OMGWTIFSTHIS

• Time spent:
      10h 20m 30s

• Total level:

Just because you wouldn't abuse it doesn't mean others wouldn't, especially if there were in-game benefits to be had.

You can change hardware ids, there is software that allows it. I'm not super familiar with how HWID works since I'm a software developer, not an IT professional, but there are always ways of getting around these identifiers.

The issue is also this: If you have to create very complex security systems simply to prevent people from abusing a feature, is the feature really worth having? From the sounds of it you'd have more damn code relating to preventing people from abusing the system than the system itself will have in it.

The voting system: People use VPNs, but is it worth it to stop them? No - because it provides more people. A referral system: People can AFK train to 1,000 total level, 24 hours online, change their HWID, and use a Sock5 proxy, but is it worth it to stop them? No, because it provides more people. That's what I'm trying to point out.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:07 AM #9

Lun Lun
Ironman

Lun Lun

• Time spent:
      2d 4h 29m 34s

• Total level:

The voting system: People use VPNs, but is it worth it to stop them? No - because it provides more people. A referral system: People can AFK train to 1,000 total level, 24 hours online, change their HWID, and use a Sock5 proxy, but is it worth it to stop them? No, because it provides more people. That's what I'm trying to point out.

Cheating with votes is very easy to detect compared to fake referrals. One simply needs to check if someone has claimed multiple auth codes within one voting period, the other requires the archiving and comparisons of a lot of data that is easily changed and/or masked.

In the end, you'll spend a lot more time and effort trying to prevent people from cheating rather than actually making the content for them to enjoy.

Oh but you could write a registry key to the user's computer and make 4 different files that all hold RSA keys that are unique to a single account and are required to log in and require them to post a picture of their face at 10 different angles to make sure they're not a sock account. 100 more layers of security, 100 more places you can find to exploit it.

In the end, if you want a referral system, you can't offer in-game benefits for it. It'll be way too easy to exploit. There's a reason most servers don't do it.

1PaybXO.jpg?1

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:46 PM #10

Omicron

Founder

Omicron

• Time spent:
      420d 9h 45m 32s

• Total level:
    Awards

Your suggestion has been declined, if you feel this was wrongfully done please contact a Forum Moderator+.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 25 user(s)