21 replies to this topic

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:12 AM #1

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

This is something that I've personally wanted to try for a while, but have never had a server to try it on. Hopefully, you guys can use this.

Instead of using the traditional .jar file for people to download, use ElectronJS to create an actual application. Electron uses the basic fundamentals of web development to create cross-platform applications, meaning the application will run on any operating system. It is completely customisable, which means you can add tools and whatever you want to the application. It also comes built-in with Squirrel updater, so any updates to the client would be handled automatically. The .jar file would still be included in the .asar package, but would not need to be accessed by the end user. Instead, it would embed the .jar file into the application and run it as it would on a browser. 

But JRE embeds don't work on browsers! Not to worry! There's a solution for that too. Since Electron uses Chromium, it's completely customisable. You can use the node-jre npm package https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-jre to embed the client into the application. Tons of applications currently use Electron as a base. I'm pretty certain OSBuddy and RuneLite both use Electron. 

I really hope this suggestion comes to fruition. If you need any help, I've been making websites for around 10 years, and I'm definitely willing to help out. 

Thanks!

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:36 AM #2

Aritus
Ironman

Aritus
Clan: Paragon

• Time spent:
      130d 1h 9m 33s

• Previous username:
    Arcadus

• Total level:
    Awards
So this means we could get Alora on mobile for iOs? Poggers.......

Posted Image

Spoiler

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:28 AM #3

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

Ehhh not so fast. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work like that. It took a really long time for Jagex to rollout their mobile clients, and we're still waiting for RS3 on iOS. If it were that easy, they would have done it years ago. When I said cross-platform, I meant Windows, Linux, and OSX. I should have specified.

This will basically work the same way webclients did a few years ago, but it will be a desktop application and behave accordingly. It will even show in the task manager as a process instead of a JRE. 

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:50 AM #4

Fiji
Veteran

Fiji
Clan: #CMF / Paragon

• Time spent:
      94d 8h 54m 40s

• Previous username:
    Fiji Drip

• Total level:
    Awards
This sounds like something that can really benefit the game however I know nothing about this whole thing. You might want to try to PM @Omicron directly about this.
  • JBG likes this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:51 AM #5

Dab
Veteran

Dab

• Time spent:
      134d 7h 8m 54s

• Previous username:
    GIM Dab

• Total level:
    Awards

Anybody using Linux would greatly benefit from this. No clue how hard it would be to implement, and I don't fully understand how it works, but my boy with Linux really wants to try the server. :D

• JBG likes this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:31 AM #6

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

Anybody using Linux would greatly benefit from this. No clue how hard it would be to implement, and I don't fully understand how it works, but my boy with Linux really wants to try the server. :D

I could do a basic mock-up in a few days since I do have the jar file. I’d start on it right now but I’m not at home. It’s really simple.

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:42 AM #7

J boogs
Veteran

J boogs
Clan: Retired

• Time spent:
      287d 15h 17m 31s

• Total level:
    Awards

+1 to this statement plzzzz

Posted Image

Posted ImageServer Support - 10/13/2019

Posted ImageServer Moderator - 11/10/2019

Posted ImageForum Moderator - 1/18/2020

Posted ImageGlobal Moderator - 2/16/2020

Resigned - 4/3/2020

Posted ImageServer Moderator - 6/7/2020

Posted ImageForum Moderator - 7/17/2020

Posted ImageGlobal Moderator - 10/25/2020

Resigned - 12/22/2020

Community Awards

Spoiler

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:36 AM #8

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

+1 to this statement plzzzz

Theoretically, it is possible to use this type of application to create an app for iOS. BUT it doesn't mean it will work. The only thing this will do is allow us to add a custom frame around the client, similar to how OSBuddy and RuneLite look. We can add tools, and pretty much whatever we want. 

You have to keep in mind that in order for Alora to be on mobile, which nobody has actually stated it will be, there would have to be an immense amount of development done. The entire interface would have to be redone for mobile compatibility, and would take a really long time. Not only that, I'm not entirely sure how long it would stay on the app store once Jagex catches wind of it. 

TL;DR don't expect a mobile version of Alora from this.

I'm actually working on a mockup right now, but I'm on my friends laptop, so it's going to take some time. I've also never actually used the node-jre package before, so I have to play around with it to get it to work properly. 

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:56 PM #9

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

Here's what I have so far. Note that this is not the actual client embed yet. I'll do that last. Not going to have it keep loading over and over again every time I change something.

LucR_poPRkqnSeDEdZHhHA.png

I plan on adding some dropdown components to link to pages on the website. Any suggestions on what should be added?

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:18 PM #10

Omicron

Founder

Omicron

• Time spent:
      419d 13h 17m 47s

• Total level:
    Awards

@JBG Hey, I'll look into this. Could be neat to have it packaged rather than a jar. Keep in mind that jars are cross-platform and should work on Linux/Windows/Mac assuming the user has Java installed. The image you linked is broken, though (403 forbidden).

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:59 PM #11

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

@Omicron does this one work? The idea behind this is to be able to add tools, notifications, and other UI elements to the client easier. I can upload what I have to github and share it with you if you want. Or we can keep it more private. I'm open to either. My Discord ID is JBG#1000

8xIClSV.png

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:52 PM #12

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

Okay I've done some improvements. 

App default size (800x600)

https://i.imgur.com/EHEQmp7.png

EHEQmp7.png

Application maximized; notice the icon change on the right. These had to be redone manually for the custom frame.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0iuCkh.png

Q0iuCkh.png

Application close prompt confirmation; using bootstrap modal for ease of use

https://i.imgur.com/myp2nIh.png

myp2nIh.png

I'll probably add the dropdown menu next, but that might get tricky. I basically have to add event listeners to each of the items, then force it to open in the user's default browser instead of opening in the application lol

Another update: added dropdown menus for website links and support links, as well as a discord invite button. 

https://i.imgur.com/kv1pmBK.png

https://i.imgur.com/SC86KSA.png

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:33 AM #13

MT
Veteran

MT
Clan: #ICE

• Time spent:
      120d 12h 9m 46s

• Previous username:
    Moral Truth

• Total level:
    Awards
Nice to see that Omicron will be looking more into this. Looking forward to seeing what happens!
  • JBG likes this

KyqkXZi.png

Signature by Dr Dee Are E

Promoted to Server Support on November 7th, 2018.

Promoted to Server Moderator on January 1st, 2019.

Demoted from Server Moderator on May 10th, 2019.

Promoted to Server Support on June 2nd, 2019.

Resigned from Server Support on July 15th, 2020.

Official Alora Rules

Support Section | Appeal | Bug Report | Player Report

2FA Setup | Vote | Guides | Updates | Knowledge Base | Highscores

All Accounts

Spoiler

Community Awards

Spoiler

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:25 AM #14

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

Quick update

https://img.jbg.cx/c2ldhj

c2ldhj.png

Also, I'd like to answer a few questions in case this is actually released.

Will I need this in order to play Alora?

No. The Alora client included with this application will be the same one everyone already has. If you already have the client, and don't want to download the Alora Hub, you won't have to. Unless @Omicron figures out a way to embed the client into the actual application, I kind of gave up on that...

Will this work on any operating system?

Yes, however, you will still need Java installed on your computer in order to run the Alora client. When you download the application, you'll run the installer and it will ask you if you want to create a desktop shortcut and start menu shortcut. I would highly recommend doing this, otherwise you'll have to find the .exe file and run it that way.

Is it safe?

Of course. I have never and will never release any application that is not safe to use. It does not have access to your account at all. This is basically just a nicer application for people to download and will contain loads of information and useful tools (coming soon). 

What features will it have?

Eventually, I'd like to add the following features: 

• Built-in calculator
  • Highscores lookup
  • News feed
  • Notes
  • Store
  • Recent forum topics/posts

Those are just a few of the ideas that I have in mind for this. Some of them may not be included in the initial release, but will be added through an automatic update, so you won't have to keep downloading the application. The Alora client will be updated separately, the same as it's done now. 

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:49 AM #15

No CBs
Realism

No CBs

• Time spent:
      23d 2h 29m 11s

• Previous username:
    Real Try

• Total level:
    Awards
Glad to see this is getting looked into, excited to see where this goes :)
  • JBG likes this

Posted Image

Promoted to Server Support on 8th December 2019.

Promoted to Server Moderator on 21st December 2019.

Resigned from Server Moderator on 2nd March 2020.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Support | Bug Report | Player Report | Appeals

Updates | Knowledge Base | Suggestions

Community Awards;

Spoiler

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:04 PM #16

Satanae
User

Satanae

• Time spent:
      7d 22h 36m 17s

• Previous username:
    Andariel

• Total level:

I'm kinda confused about this, not sure what use it will have or anything, but i'll wait and see.  Also i'm kinda tired of Alora 3WXT8pp.png still using the Horde logo from world of warcraft. Kinda meh to me since the beginning. happy to see this would fix this small issue. It would make Alora look a bit more professional and polished with its own logo and JOzevEo.png a new desktop icon? Obviously not the main thing you're trying to fix/do here, but it would be very nice to see this. i'll wait for more info/explanations on why this and stuff. But it looks good for now :)

fH5SxYT.png

ksNOc0c.png

^^monkey pog

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:39 AM #17

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

I'm kinda confused about this, not sure what use it will have or anything, but i'll wait and see.  Also i'm kinda tired of Alora 3WXT8pp.png still using the Horde logo from world of warcraft. Kinda meh to me since the beginning. happy to see this would fix this small issue. It would make Alora look a bit more professional and polished with its own logo and JOzevEo.png a new desktop icon? Obviously not the main thing you're trying to fix/do here, but it would be very nice to see this. i'll wait for more info/explanations on why this and stuff. But it looks good for now :)

The Alora Hub will have the Alora icon (see the favicon on the website). As for the .jar icon, I can't change that. That's up to @Omicron to change. This will also come with an installer for Windows, Linux, and MacOS that will automatically add a desktop shortcut and start menu shortcut (both optional). I'm just waiting for Omicron to come up with an API that I can use to dynamically load content onto the hub. If he wants to add a login system to the hub later on for other things, such as a vote timer/reminder as well as other features that would require authentication, he would need to do that since I don't have access to that stuff. 

I'm open to suggestions btw. If you have anything you want added to this, let me know and I'll see if it can be done. 

EDIT: actually I probably can change the icon for the .jar, but I don't want to change anything with the actual client without Omicron's permission. 

also here's an updated screenshot

https://img.jbg.cx/x3bvkx

x3bvkx.png

There will be more below it, but I don't have anything to show until I get API from Omicron. 

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:59 AM #18

Theatric
Ironman

Theatric
Clan: ICE

• Time spent:
      6d 16h 17m 44s

• Total level:
    Awards
I think if we are to change clients, rather than looking into this too much, we should change to Runelite personally. I think it’ll be of more benefit to a wider range of users.

Posted Image

Promoted to Server Support on July 21st, 2019.

Resigned from Server Support on August 31st, 2019.

Official Alora Rules

Support Section | Appeal | Bug Report | Player Report

2FA Setup | Vote | Guides | Updates | Knowledge Base | Highscores

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:29 PM #19

JBG
Super Donator

JBG

• Time spent:
      3d 10h 10m 24s

• Total level:

I think if we are to change clients, rather than looking into this too much, we should change to Runelite personally. I think it’ll be of more benefit to a wider range of users.

Runelite is a Java client. I’m not familiar enough with Java to create something like that. I’m sure Omicron is knowledgeable enough to create something similar, but I don’t think that’s a high priority. My main objective with this is to create a more appealing application to launch the client without taking Omicron away from server development. Creating an API for me to use for the Alora Hub shouldn’t be very time consuming. It’s literally just outputting information from the database in a json format.

As of right now, I’ve done all I can do from my end. It’s up to Omicron if he wants to make the API.

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:55 AM #20

Satanae
User

Satanae

• Time spent:
      7d 22h 36m 17s

• Previous username:
    Andariel

• Total level:

@Theatric Amen.

fH5SxYT.png

ksNOc0c.png

^^monkey pog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 106 user(s)