27 replies to this topic

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:21 PM #1

Kq head
Ironman

Kq head

• Time spent:
      1d 7h 32m 10s

• Total level:
“The main piece of content CoX has been left in this atrocious state for over a month, so we are adding a new donator rank??!”

Eternal Donator Rank

Anyone else notice this new Eternal Donator rank? As far as myself, and many others in the community that I've talked with are aware, this rank was never proposed, polled, or even mentioned to anyone. Everyone I’ve talked with seems to agree that this is a clear cash grab, and honestly, a slap in the face to most of us. Moving on.. What perks could this new donator rank possibly even offer? Any perks that could possibly be offered to match the cost of the rank would be incredibly overpowered and game breaking. The opinion the community holds on donator ranks is already that the highest rank that is worth the cost is uber, so why would anyone in their right mind pay for a potential $20,000 (potentially higher) rank?

For an example, look at the drop rate differences from donator ranks… (While this is a very black and white example, it gets the point across that the rank truly doesn’t provide a benefit worth its price) The Corporeal Beast drops the Elysian Sigil at a 1/2697 rate for non-donors. For uber-donators, that is reduced to 1/2552, and for immortal-donators a 1/2370 chance. Estimating that efficient players can get 30 kills per hour, it would save an immortal-donator 10.9 hours when compared to a non-donator. A $10,000 donator rank is theoretically only saving the player approximately 11 hours, more than $900 per hour saved. Think about what master and immortal donators did to the CoX prices.. How much further can we buff drop rates before it gets to be too much?

What’s more realistic is that players (if any even tried) would try and buy the rank with in game gold, buying custom transfers. Considering the on-going rate for $100 custom donations is 3b gold, at a 1:4 rate it would cost a single player 150b gold to obtain the rank from scratch. The benefits that this new rank would have to provide the player to be worth the price would have to be so incredibly overpowered that it would break the game in no time at all. Not to mention… how many players could even afford to buy that, maybe 2? Even so, they would likely have to dump their entire banks to afford it. 

Something myself and a few others in the community have discussed as a better alternative would be paying for rank transfers. We understand that there is a cost of running the server, and the players are willing to do that, but a new donator rank isn’t the best way to go about it. Players being able to pay to transfer their donor ranks from account to account is a service that is much higher in demand than a higher tier donor rank. Not only does this accomplish bringing in more income to keep the server going, it also fills a huge need that the community has been asking for. How many players have left Alora because they wanted to play a new account and didn’t have the option to transfer their rank to a new account? Countless players have offered $100 and more to transfer their ranks, and those same players might come back if this was an option. 

Lack of communication

Take a look at Oldschool Runescape’s method for development and why the current version of OSRS is a much bigger success than its prior Runescape 2 (pre-eoc). They run 30 question content polls at least once a month, and develop content around the results. If something doesn’t pass their threshold of being approved by the community (75%), they don’t bother implementing it unless they further reach out to the community, ask what changes would need to be made to see the content implemented, and then make said changes. While on Alora, the last major content (content that exceeds the “weekly update” time frame) poll took place in September of 2017. It has been over 3 years since one of these polls were posted. Here is the post for those looking… 

A development focused on what the players would like to see, rather than what content the developers would like to see. This is the style of development that Alora needs to implement. The players keep Alora alive, and players won’t stay when their thoughts and ideas aren’t being listened to. While Omi can, and should, make decisions for the server that he feels are ultimately the best, he should also take into account the ideas that the community has a strong passion for (ex: reworking Olm and ToB, adding nightmare instances and an overall combat system rework). Releasing content like Castle Wars and LMS are not what the players are asking for, yet they get implemented above all else and before fixing what the players are clearly asking for. 

Instead of leaving the players, in the dark when it comes to “major” content releases, create development blogs more often. There were 2 back in July and August for the Chambers of Xeric rework, and it was very exciting to see an update like that just around the corner. Knowing what updates are coming and thinking about preparing for those updates always brings back my passion to play because it sets me on a direct path for a cool new piece of content. 

Maybe development blogs are something that take up too much of Omi’s time, but there are a ton of dedicated players on the staff team that I am sure would be thrilled to help with the process of testing content and putting together a development blog for the community. 

Side note. What happened to crack the clue?
ugKaxyC.png

Stupid update delays

This is one of the things that I will never understand the logic behind... Let's look at the most recent, and probably best example of this. The Chambers of Xeric rework is probably one of the best content updates Alora has seen in a long time; not only is it a good advertisement point, but it is also the cause of many old players returning. While I don’t agree with people saying “cOx iS iMpoSsible” I must admit I don’t see any logic behind delaying crucial bug-fixes, like the scaling of the top floor or the chests randomly disappearing for an entire month. 

Another good example of this would be a very long time ago, when the skilling interfaces were updated to match OSRS. This update brought a crafting bug, that made the skill impossible to level early on, pretty much rendering the skill unusable for an entire week. Whether the reason is that a server restart would “annoy” players, or rather it was better to simply delay it a week so that the update would look bigger and better. It makes absolutely no logical sense. 

As a player, all of this makes me feel so unappreciated on the server. To know that cash grabs and flashy update threads are clearly more important than the player’s experience, it truly saddens me. 

I anticipate all of the discussions this may start, and I look forward to feedback from everyone within the community. 

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:28 PM #2

Amica
Veteran

Amica

• Time spent:
      68d 20h 36m 41s

• Total level:
    Awards

If I could like something more than once you'd be getting hella likes right now.

Community Awards

Spoiler

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:30 PM #3

Code 002
Veteran

Code 002
Clan: Alora

• Time spent:
      121d 3h 4m 40s

• Total level:
    Awards

This is why you're my dad.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:31 PM #4

teeth check
Veteran

teeth check
Clan: #ICE

• Time spent:
      205d 4h 59m 56s

• Previous username:
    Hellish

• Total level:
    Awards

11/10 Post & took a lot of what I've been wanting to say but am honestly afraid to because I know my ranks will fly if I do so. 

With the 'troubles' coming to Alora soon, delaying updates & releasing a donator rank, which will fuck custom prices much more, seems to be a few steps in the wrong direction. 

Loc dev blog updates? 

It's a damn shame that posts like these won't change a thing, only $ talks on Alora. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:47 PM #5

Sayso
Veteran

Sayso
Clan: MOST HATED

• Time spent:
      131d 8h 55m 30s

• Previous username:
    T S

• Total level:
    Awards

$10,000 + for a rank on a private server is absurd anyway 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:04 PM #6

Cultured
Ultimate Ironman

Cultured

• Time spent:
      6d 23h 45m 50s

• Total level:
Everyone was waiting for a post like this and I thank you for making it. Gets a lot off the servers chest, phenomenal post. On a side note.

11/10 Post & took a lot of what I've been wanting to say but am honestly afraid to because I know my ranks will fly if I do so.

With the 'troubles' coming to Alora soon, delaying updates & releasing a donator rank, which will fuck custom prices much more, seems to be a few steps in the wrong direction.

Loc dev blog updates?

It's a damn shame that posts like these won't change a thing, only $ talks on Alora.

No one should ever feel threatened about wanting input and to be able to speak their voice especially someone who has been around for a long time and is very respected. This comment alone shows we as a server and community are not going in the right direction.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:07 PM #7

EIM Crumpet
User

EIM Crumpet
Clan: Aftermath

• Time spent:
      17d 7h 59m 1s

• Total level:
    Awards

Hit the nail on the head with this one. very well said sir and thanks for taking the time to make this great thread.

z7arK6X.jpg

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:10 PM #8

KP
Veteran

KP
Clan: ICE

• Time spent:
      229d 12h 11m 19s

• Previous username:
    King purple

• Total level:
    Awards

Alora has something better than any other server has...the games best attribute is the community.
It must be preserved and empowered, otherwise the whole thing crashes. If you played other servers you can notice the difference in behavior and attitude on the communities..Alora is by far the best community, period.
With that being said, the polls need to be added, this game doesnt need another donator rank at all.
You can slow down the updates, but don't add a donator rank out of nowhere, and most importantly, keep your community updated on things. Make their opinions matter with polls, discussion threads etc.. 
I am certain players wouldn't mind longer update waits if they had a say in them, and if they were updated about it.

ly all

KP | One | Horus

298b959afb3954f5e6e256eadcf3063d.png

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:33 PM #9

selenaG
Super Donator

selenaG
Clan: Dynasty

• Time spent:
      19d 2h 4m 30s

• Previous username:
    Selenagomez

• Total level:
    Awards

I also do not enjoy known bugs being fixed, but wont be implemented until we have a big update to roll out, rather than end of the week server reset with bug fixes pushed.

0Mp5cVM.png

Selenagomezsig.gif

475LmfH.png

SG.png

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:38 PM #10

GIM Riley
User

GIM Riley

• Time spent:
      6d 1h 2m 33s

• Previous username:
    Riley Raids

• Total level:
    Awards
Couldn’t have said it better. I really really really like Alora ALOT.
But everything u stated above is slowly killing my love for Alora and probably for alot of other people.
And i really would hate to see that day, but it’s coming if it keeps going like this.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:43 PM #11

Brambo
Veteran

Brambo

• Time spent:
      37d 1h 27m 23s

• Previous username:
    Bramboss

• Total level:
    Awards

Most important thing to do is listen to the people, what they want! 

I agree on this, and i have much love for Alora we have the best community in the game 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:53 PM #12

lol Rip
Veteran

lol Rip

• Time spent:
      35d 16h 6m 4s

• Total level:
    Awards

Alora has something better than any other server has...the games best attribute is the community.
It must be preserved and empowered, otherwise the whole thing crashes. If you played other servers you can notice the difference in behavior and attitude on the communities..Alora is by far the best community, period.
With that being said, the polls need to be added, this game doesnt need another donator rank at all.
You can slow down the updates, but don't add a donator rank out of nowhere, and most importantly, keep your community updated on things. Make their opinions matter with polls, discussion threads etc.. 
I am certain players wouldn't mind longer update waits if they had a say in them, and if they were updated about it.

ly all

Couldn't have said it better.  Would love to know what Omi is working on during this month long dry spell.  Also, how does everyone know about a new donor rank coming? Where is this info coming from.

ly all

Couldn't have said it better.  Would love to know what Omi is working on during this month long dry spell.  Also, how does everyone know about a new donor rank coming? Where is this info coming from.

7a873dc4a33e40c96e800a9734c2e475.png

ec6b05aa3dbbbe0b3956baee10a24832.png
752eccbc473c8417b66e1982c77e1524.png
8f599fa2b5b74e709f5ebdfed6e54b1c.png
68ed47d57cb139d8ed4f66f77846ad12.png
3fb781e40773670fee9d8ffb0a8e5f1e.png

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:55 PM #13

Aritus
Ironman

Aritus
Clan: Paragon

• Time spent:
      130d 1h 9m 33s

• Previous username:
    Arcadus

• Total level:
    Awards
Time to say something ‘unimportant’ here too.....,

First of all @ Kq head you’re a champ to express your feelings about this whole problem. I couldn’t agree more than what you have stated above.

Indeed, what noticed me this morning was the horrible ‘Veteran’ rank color imposter and I was like; What the fuck are you even doing Dan? Is this much more important than fixing up your server that has a bunch of bugs? Is this the part where you don’t give a damn about this server anymore and just want more money for your own goods? Whatever you do is up to you, but this is one of the reasons I have chosen OSRS over Alora. I think that if this keeps going on then many people will follow up leaving this server and find another place where their opinion matters.

Try to release more content polls, try to spend more attention on the small things. I’ve contacted you a month or two ago regarding the Scythe of vitur’s wrong angle. I do understand that the game has other priorities which you have said throughout PMS, but those small things only improves the server to the better one. Once again, this is all up to you.

:shrug:

Posted Image

Spoiler

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:09 PM #14

Sheep
Veteran

Sheep

• Time spent:
      254d 15h 25m 54s

• Total level:
    Awards

This thread couldn’t be posted at a better moment. I love this community but frankly I don’t think it will last if it’s going in this direction for any longer. From what I’ve seen people are going elsewhere, lack of forums activity compared to before, etc. There definitely has to be some changes, some points you’ve addressed are valid. Lack of communication, sudden changes like new donator status, veteran color change for this new rank. Personally I don’t mind the new rank and whatsoever. Just the communication is poorly. 

Can’t judge the update delays but this again comes down to communication. 

I don’t want to bash what is going on but I’d like to see a positive change and see it going in a direction so that Alora can live on longer. Sure the donator rank might be a ‘cash grab’ and it will help to sustain the funds for a say a year? Not much use if it ruins the economy and if people keep going elsewhere for these reasons.

Great thread sir.

DiFZ2Y0.png

hK2Oxeq.png

lOWOdZK.png

unknown.png
gcsafeR.png

Spoiler

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:09 PM #15

teeth check
Veteran

teeth check
Clan: #ICE

• Time spent:
      205d 4h 59m 56s

• Previous username:
    Hellish

• Total level:
    Awards

Scroll down on the forums homepage where you can see all the ranks in order, you'll notice a new 'eternal donator'.

ypNGMVJ.png

As for what we think the price is, that's just speculation based off previous ranks. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:22 PM #16

Omicron

Founder

Omicron

• Time spent:
      419d 14h 17m 43s

• Total level:
    Awards

I'll try to address all of the points you've proposed as best as I can so that you can see our side of this, as I now have a better insight into yours (and that of numerous other members of the community). Firstly, the Chambers of Xeric rework has certainly been in need of some attention to tie up the last few loose ends with it -- it was a huge update to change the raid from a single layout to a dynamically generated system and there were bound to be bugs, and while a few bugs being present is clearly not the issue here, I would like to apologize for the delay in these fixes being applied to the actual server. I know it is difficult to know exactly what goes on behind the scenes, and all of those bugs are actually already patched up (among a plethora of updates that are waiting to be pushed) but some unexpected IRL circumstances have caused us to push back the update schedule a few times this past month. Some staff members who've helped us beta test this week could also attest to the fact that we do have a sizeable update planned for this week, which you'll also be able to see for yourself shortly. Also, the idea that the Eternal donator rank has somehow slowed down the update schedule is simply incorrect, the Eternal donator rank has only been worked on the past few days, the rest of the month has been spent fixing up CoX and other bugs, as well as adding in a huge amount of new content (Tithe Farm, Mahogany Homes, new RuneLite plugins, a Vote Shop expansion, an in-game Lottery system, and much more). We know that there's no way for you to know that we're working on all of this, which leads me to my next point: communication. With that being said, hopefully you can also sympathize with us and understand that sometimes things happen in our lives that we cannot control.

Communication has been an issue for awhile now, as Chad and I scramble to rush updates out (as a 2-person development team) we do sometimes lose sight of the big picture and neglect the communication aspect. It isn't something we intend to do, it simply makes more sense to us to put our time and energy into developing these updates to have a healthy, constant flow of new content and bug fixes, as well as responding to all the PMs that we receive daily and keeping in touch with the higher up staff team to make sure that things are running smoothly. That isn't an excuse, and we have made attempts to change this, such as providing more development blogs, but that has admittedly slowed down as the summer has ended. We understand your concern though, and I really would like to change this by planning out future updates on a stricter schedule with more consistent development blogs.

As for the rank, as I mentioned it is something that we've worked on this week and some of you may have noticed the usergroup on the active members list. I'll address a few points here to allow you to understand why we are adding it, and hopefully you'll come out with a different view of the rank. To preface, we have never proposed a previous donator rank. We do sometimes poll updates that affect Alora in a massive way, but donator ranks have not fallen under this category as they have always been a part of Alora. The fact of the matter is that Alora requires income to operate, and without income we would not be able to advertise or provide the development or support that we have for nearly 4 years now. The store, and the donator ranks that go with it have always been a part of Alora. I understand how seeing us working on a new donator rank after a month without updates may leave a bad taste in your mouth, and that goes back to the communication point, because we absolutely never intended to release this rank without the massive update that we've been working on.

As you can imagine, after 4 years of uptime (longer than most servers last), store purchases are nowhere near where they were when Alora was first released. This is simply a side effect of having a mature economy -- nobody is purchasing whips from the store anymore, and to be fair custom donations for rank account for most of Alora's income nowadays as people don't need to purchase anything from the store. How can we counter this? Well, we can slowly start adding new over-powered items to the store to entice people more, but I don't think anyone wants to see those sorts of items in the store. Instead, a donator rank that a few will marginally benefit from, but will massively benefit Alora in staying alive as long as we possibly could seems like the best option to us. The way things are at the moment, we'd be forced to start cutting advertisements sometime in the next few months to make sure that Alora isn't losing money. Expenses to operate a private server are not cheap, especially if you care about the longevity of the server and want to ensure that there's a steady influx of new players.

Aside from that, the Eternal rank is simply a prestige rank -- yes, there are a few new perks (such as being able to transfer your rank more regularly) but at the end of the day it isn't anything that threatens the integrity of the game, and ultimately the addition of this rank will do more good than bad as it will allow us to keep providing the best support and content that we possibly can.

I hope that my explanation allows you to get a better understanding of the reason why we add new ranks, and that we aren't looking at Alora as something that we just want to milk and turn our backs on. We're still here, we're still working hard on bringing you the best experience that we can, and we still care about the game and our community that has supported us for the past 4 years. At the end of the day, we're here because you guys have supported us through it all and trusted us when it comes to operating the server that we're proud to have you call home. On top of that, we've always listened to our community where it counts and have made the necessary changes to protect the integrity of the game, even if we admittedly could do better with communication.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:38 PM #17

selenaG
Super Donator

selenaG

• Time spent:
      19d 2h 4m 30s

• Previous username:
    Selenagomez

• Total level:
    Awards

I'll try to address all of the points you've proposed as best as I can so that you can see our side of this, as I now have a better insight into yours (and that of numerous other members of the community). Firstly, the Chambers of Xeric rework has certainly been in need of some attention to tie up the last few loose ends with it -- it was a huge update to change the raid from a single layout to a dynamically generated system and there were bound to be bugs, and while a few bugs being present is clearly not the issue here, I would like to apologize for the delay in these fixes being applied to the actual server. I know it is difficult to know exactly what goes on behind the scenes, and all of those bugs are actually already patched up (among a plethora of updates that are waiting to be pushed) but some unexpected IRL circumstances have caused us to push back the update schedule a few times this past month. Some staff members who've helped us beta test this week could also attest to the fact that we do have a sizeable update planned for this week, which you'll also be able to see for yourself shortly. Also, the idea that the Eternal donator rank has somehow slowed down the update schedule is simply incorrect, the Eternal donator rank has only been worked on the past few days, the rest of the month has been spent fixing up CoX and other bugs, as well as adding in a huge amount of new content (Tithe Farm, Mahogany Homes, new RuneLite plugins, a Vote Shop expansion, an in-game Lottery system, and much more). We know that there's no way for you to know that we're working on all of this, which leads me to my next point: communication. With that being said, hopefully you can also sympathize with us and understand that sometimes things happen in our lives that we cannot control.

Communication has been an issue for awhile now, as Chad and I scramble to rush updates out (as a 2-person development team) we do sometimes lose sight of the big picture and neglect the communication aspect. It isn't something we intend to do, it simply makes more sense to us to put our time and energy into developing these updates to have a healthy, constant flow of new content and bug fixes, as well as responding to all the PMs that we receive daily and keeping in touch with the higher up staff team to make sure that things are running smoothly. That isn't an excuse, and we have made attempts to change this, such as providing more development blogs, but that has admittedly slowed down as the summer has ended. We understand your concern though, and I really would like to change this by planning out future updates on a stricter schedule with more consistent development blogs.

As for the rank, as I mentioned it is something that we've worked on this week and some of you may have noticed the usergroup on the active members list. I'll address a few points here to allow you to understand why we are adding it, and hopefully you'll come out with a different view of the rank. To preface, we have never proposed a previous donator rank. We do sometimes poll updates that affect Alora in a massive way, but donator ranks have not fallen under this category as they have always been a part of Alora. The fact of the matter is that Alora requires income to operate, and without income we would not be able to advertise or provide the development or support that we have for nearly 4 years now. The store, and the donator ranks that go with it have always been a part of Alora. I understand how seeing us working on a new donator rank after a month without updates may leave a bad taste in your mouth, and that goes back to the communication point, because we absolutely never intended to release this rank without the massive update that we've been working on.

As you can imagine, after 4 years of uptime (longer than most servers last), store purchases are nowhere near where they were when Alora was first released. This is simply a side effect of having a mature economy -- nobody is purchasing whips from the store anymore, and to be fair custom donations for rank account for most of Alora's income nowadays as people don't need to purchase anything from the store. How can we counter this? Well, we can slowly start adding new over-powered items to the store to entice people more, but I don't think anyone wants to see those sorts of items in the store. Instead, a donator rank that a few will marginally benefit from, but will massively benefit Alora in staying alive as long as we possibly could seems like the best option to us. The way things are at the moment, we'd be forced to start cutting advertisements sometime in the next few months to make sure that Alora isn't losing money. Expenses to operate a private server are not cheap, especially if you care about the longevity of the server and want to ensure that there's a steady influx of new players.

Aside from that, the Eternal rank is simply a prestige rank -- yes, there are a few new perks (such as being able to transfer your rank more regularly) but at the end of the day it isn't anything that threatens the integrity of the game, and ultimately the addition of this rank will do more good than bad as it will allow us to keep providing the best support and content that we possibly can.

I hope that my explanation allows you to get a better understanding of the reason why we add new ranks, and that we aren't looking at Alora as something that we just want to milk and turn our backs on. We're still here, we're still working hard on bringing you the best experience that we can, and we still care about the game and our community that has supported us for the past 4 years. At the end of the day, we're here because you guys have supported us through it all and trusted us when it comes to operating the server that we're proud to have you call home. On top of that, we've always listened to our community where it counts and have made the necessary changes to protect the integrity of the game, even if we admittedly could do better with communication.

If you need more income just allow us to pay for donor rank transfers :). $50/$100USD per transfer (outside of the VERY FEW free transfers could generate a decent cash flow).

Edit: I'll expand on this a little further. As "well if they just transfer rank to different account we will lose money in the end". Not technically true. When I start a new account I usually go fucking ham on the shop (void/tome of fire/rune pouch/ etc etc) most people will start new accounts, transfer ranks, and buy more shit (maybe, maybe not) but either way you will receive the money for transfer, and maybe even more money on them buying some essentials via the shop/

0Mp5cVM.png

Selenagomezsig.gif

475LmfH.png

SG.png

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:53 PM #18

Brambo
Veteran

Brambo

• Time spent:
      37d 1h 27m 23s

• Previous username:
    Bramboss

• Total level:
    Awards

Totally agree on @ Selenagomez The times you can transfer now is very few and it will bring up money for Alora and keep players to play the server or even bring some back.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:01 PM #19

S
Immortal Donator

S

• Time spent:
      53d 11h 41m 30s

• Previous username:
    Seabound

• Total level:
    Awards

“The main piece of content CoX has been left in this atrocious state for over a month, so we are adding a new donator rank??!”

Eternal Donator Rank

Anyone else notice this new Eternal Donator rank? As far as myself, and many others in the community that I've talked with are aware, this rank was never proposed, polled, or even mentioned to anyone. Everyone I’ve talked with seems to agree that this is a clear cash grab, and honestly, a slap in the face to most of us. Moving on.. What perks could this new donator rank possibly even offer? Any perks that could possibly be offered to match the cost of the rank would be incredibly overpowered and game breaking. The opinion the community holds on donator ranks is already that the highest rank that is worth the cost is uber, so why would anyone in their right mind pay for a potential $20,000 (potentially higher) rank?

For an example, look at the drop rate differences from donator ranks… (While this is a very black and white example, it gets the point across that the rank truly doesn’t provide a benefit worth its price) The Corporeal Beast drops the Elysian Sigil at a 1/2697 rate for non-donors. For uber-donators, that is reduced to 1/2552, and for immortal-donators a 1/2370 chance. Estimating that efficient players can get 30 kills per hour, it would save an immortal-donator 10.9 hours when compared to a non-donator. A $10,000 donator rank is theoretically only saving the player approximately 11 hours, more than $900 per hour saved. Think about what master and immortal donators did to the CoX prices.. How much further can we buff drop rates before it gets to be too much?

What’s more realistic is that players (if any even tried) would try and buy the rank with in game gold, buying custom transfers. Considering the on-going rate for $100 custom donations is 3b gold, at a 1:4 rate it would cost a single player 150b gold to obtain the rank from scratch. The benefits that this new rank would have to provide the player to be worth the price would have to be so incredibly overpowered that it would break the game in no time at all. Not to mention… how many players could even afford to buy that, maybe 2? Even so, they would likely have to dump their entire banks to afford it. 

Something myself and a few others in the community have discussed as a better alternative would be paying for rank transfers. We understand that there is a cost of running the server, and the players are willing to do that, but a new donator rank isn’t the best way to go about it. Players being able to pay to transfer their donor ranks from account to account is a service that is much higher in demand than a higher tier donor rank. Not only does this accomplish bringing in more income to keep the server going, it also fills a huge need that the community has been asking for. How many players have left Alora because they wanted to play a new account and didn’t have the option to transfer their rank to a new account? Countless players have offered $100 and more to transfer their ranks, and those same players might come back if this was an option. 

Lack of communication

Take a look at Oldschool Runescape’s method for development and why the current version of OSRS is a much bigger success than its prior Runescape 2 (pre-eoc). They run 30 question content polls at least once a month, and develop content around the results. If something doesn’t pass their threshold of being approved by the community (75%), they don’t bother implementing it unless they further reach out to the community, ask what changes would need to be made to see the content implemented, and then make said changes. While on Alora, the last major content (content that exceeds the “weekly update” time frame) poll took place in September of 2017. It has been over 3 years since one of these polls were posted. Here is the post for those looking… 

A development focused on what the players would like to see, rather than what content the developers would like to see. This is the style of development that Alora needs to implement. The players keep Alora alive, and players won’t stay when their thoughts and ideas aren’t being listened to. While Omi can, and should, make decisions for the server that he feels are ultimately the best, he should also take into account the ideas that the community has a strong passion for (ex: reworking Olm and ToB, adding nightmare instances and an overall combat system rework). Releasing content like Castle Wars and LMS are not what the players are asking for, yet they get implemented above all else and before fixing what the players are clearly asking for. 

Instead of leaving the players, in the dark when it comes to “major” content releases, create development blogs more often. There were 2 back in July and August for the Chambers of Xeric rework, and it was very exciting to see an update like that just around the corner. Knowing what updates are coming and thinking about preparing for those updates always brings back my passion to play because it sets me on a direct path for a cool new piece of content. 

Maybe development blogs are something that take up too much of Omi’s time, but there are a ton of dedicated players on the staff team that I am sure would be thrilled to help with the process of testing content and putting together a development blog for the community. 

Side note. What happened to crack the clue?
ugKaxyC.png

Stupid update delays

This is one of the things that I will never understand the logic behind... Let's look at the most recent, and probably best example of this. The Chambers of Xeric rework is probably one of the best content updates Alora has seen in a long time; not only is it a good advertisement point, but it is also the cause of many old players returning. While I don’t agree with people saying “cOx iS iMpoSsible” I must admit I don’t see any logic behind delaying crucial bug-fixes, like the scaling of the top floor or the chests randomly disappearing for an entire month. 

Another good example of this would be a very long time ago, when the skilling interfaces were updated to match OSRS. This update brought a crafting bug, that made the skill impossible to level early on, pretty much rendering the skill unusable for an entire week. Whether the reason is that a server restart would “annoy” players, or rather it was better to simply delay it a week so that the update would look bigger and better. It makes absolutely no logical sense. 

As a player, all of this makes me feel so unappreciated on the server. To know that cash grabs and flashy update threads are clearly more important than the player’s experience, it truly saddens me. 

I anticipate all of the discussions this may start, and I look forward to feedback from everyone within the community. 

I agree 100% with this rank. It seems like a pointless update fuelled by greed instead of actually doing updates that players WANT and NEED. (Fixing bugs etc.) There is no way I am going to pay another fortune in GP to get an extra $10,000 added, especially when the current bonuses are not even worth it.

I also agree that having options like transferring ranks between accounts is a much better idea.

Omicron - The way things are at the moment, we'd be forced to start cutting advertisements sometime in the next few months to make sure that Alora isn't losing money

Well if you hadnt added cosmetic boxes and other items where you could obtain the "custom items" you used to sell, people would still be buying them and it wouldnt be as big of an issue.

Anyway thats just my opinion as a long time player.

IPJQfIp.gif

475LmfH.pngdysnasty-signature-final.gif?width=960&h

Spoiler

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:02 PM #20

Falske
User

Falske

• Time spent:
      9d 22h 10s

• Previous username:
    Rowy

• Total level:

Honestly the new donator rank its not that big of an update, im sure @ Omicron is working on the COX fix, but you got to realise maybe the eternal rank has been in the works for a while, finalizing and making sure everythings agreed on. The cox fix can be super complicated and people might not realise it. Its something that Omi can see and not us, 

The eternal donator rank in my eyes can benefit the game having the wealthy folk buy custom donos and hereby decreasing theyre bank value and spreading it out through the game, i believe this is the intension aswell. In my eyes this is in no WAY a straight money grab, yes it will bring in money but why would you be mad about that? its more money for the server more money for the owners which can overall help alot. without knowing the benefits i believe we cant be mad at this. (REMEMBER EVERYBODY WHO GRINDED THEYRE ASS OFF FOR IMMORTAL OR HIGH DONATOR RANKS ITS STILL SICK NGL GOOD JOB <3)

Polling should indeed be seen more its super awesome having something to say as a player in a update

Also agree a 100$ Fee as custom donation should allow you to transfer your donator rank even though you've exceededed as @selenegomez states,
Imagine grinding for a high rank wanting to play another gamemode and not taking your prized possesion with you! its horrific! So this should definetly be thought about!

Finally i believe we all should breathe, this is a game its a private server and we have Omicron as owner, which is by far the most dedicated owner i've seen throughout my rsps journey since 2009,

#AloraOnMyChest

No7F4SY.png

EIM: KSon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 127 user(s)