Champ

• Time spent:
      526d 17h 16m 52s

• Previous username:
    Iron Champie

• Total level:
    Awards

Hey guys.

As you may or may not I resigned from the staff team on July 25th due to some things I do not agree with. I figured I would make a staff feedback explaining and pointing out some on the reasons as to why I left the team. The point of this feedback is not to start a witch hunt, but more a wake up call.

So here I am speaking as an ex-Global Moderator.

1. Administrators being able to change their name.

This has been a topic for quite some time and many people have requested to find a way to implement name changes. There is certain things that makes this a bit more difficult than it may seems, which I obviously can't elaborate further on. But I do not think it's fair that Administrator can change their name if the rest of the community can't.

2. Administrators / Some other people can hold Veteran rank on two different accounts.

The rules for the Veteran rank clearly states "Players may only hold the Veteran rank on 1 account at a time". Are Administrators not players? Before someone says that it might be mistake, then yes it could be a mistake. But it appears they make this mistake every time they transfer their staff rank from one account to another.

3. Staff members are being treated differently.

When I first joined the team everything seemed normal and I was excited to be on board and offer my help to Alora. After some time on the team I realized that some people would get different treatment either by being liked more or being on the team for longer. I'm not sure why either of these reasons should ever have an impact. Every staff member should be treated the same sadly they're not. This was still a thing when I resigned.

4. Administrators / Higher ups is lacking giving credit.

These is no doubt that everyone on Alora and on the Alora staff team makes mistakes. We're all human and it will happen at some time. These mistakes will get pointed out the second they happen, some in a more pleasant way than others. Don't get me wrong mistakes should be pointed out because if you don't know what you did wrong you'll never fix it. But, you can point out bad things in a good way instead of screaming and yelling at people. It's funny because when someone actually does a good job it's not pointed out instantly but rather kept in the dark. It takes a simple comment to make someones day and thrive to get better at what they're doing, sadly this is something that is lacked and overlooked.

These are some one the reasons as to why I left the team. Keep in mind these are some of the things I personally think are wrong and you don't necessarily have to agree with me, and if you don't that's completely fine. Like I said this is not to cause drama, start a witch hunt or whatever, but simply a wake up call for the staff team. I have pointed out criticism on this thread, so feel free to do the same to me either in pm's or below. Sorry for any misspellings or bad grammar as English is not my first language. Alora is and will always be the best Runescape Private Server out there and I love and admire all the work the staff team does on a daily basis, just a couple of things I think should be fixed.

Thank you for reading my feedback.

Regards,

Iron Champie

champtransparent.gif
Signature made by the wonderful Sunnii

Community Awards

Spoiler

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:01 AM #2

Aritus
Ironman

Aritus
Clan: Paragon

• Time spent:
      130d 1h 9m 33s

• Previous username:
    Arcadus

• Total level:
    Awards

Thank you for your honest staff feedback regarding the administration team. I definitely agree with a few things, however I never expressed my feelings about that, but I do think it's time to built up my explanation to them.

1. I definitely agree with the name change thing. After all the administrators are players also. The solution could be, implement the namechange to everyone or just disable it completely for everyone.

2. I haven't noticed that until now, not gonna lie.. But it's a thing which everyone should follow, so I definitely agree with you on that either.

3. As a normal player / ex-staff I cannot state or say anything about that, since that's within the staff team. But I do hope that it will open some people's eyes as it's something sensitive.

4. However the last one I can't say anything about it either, since it's not just here but on a daily life base also. Let me take an example of a multiplier math. The teacher explains the multiple math of 9 and she did the first 8 right, but makes a mistake on the 9th multiplier. The students are laughing, but why? For that little mistake. It is really casual that you overlook the things you do right, but takes down when it's become to mistakes. It might sound a little harsh, but that's life buddy.. However the administration team may take a look at this and try to appreciate the moderator's / Server supports' work more.

Once again thank you for your honest opinion and I hope that this will help the administration team improving to become better.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:36 AM #3

Sassa fras
Veteran

Sassa fras
Clan: ICE

• Time spent:
      151d 7h 45m 45s

• Previous username:
    Sassafras

• Total level:
    Awards

I mostly agree with #1 and #2. Some staff members have fulfilled veteran requirements on both of their accounts so I see zero problem if two accounts hold the Veteran title (such as Hellish). But others and some ex-staff (like me!) should really only have it on one account. While I don't agree with name changes/swaps, at least recently it's only been done to admin accounts and not server/forum mods like in the past. Since admins are unpaid and have very little to show for their sizeable contribution in both time and effort to Alora, I can't really hold it against them. But don't go around telling players "it can't be done" when they ask (and they ask about it a lot), just tell them upfront it's a small benefit for only admin+ staff members.

I'm not really gonna go into much detail on #3 and #4, because I'm no longer on the team. But I never felt like I was unwanted/unappreciated; praise and helpful advice for future situations were always given in staff chat. Even when I fucked up I knew not to take criticism harshly, everyone will make mistakes and the higher-ups want you to grow as a staff member. You received plenty of thanks for your hard work, maybe that was blinded by how you thought the rest of the team viewed you.

#1 Ultimate Ironman Tbow Dropper

Posted Image

Sassa fras | Sassafras | y | ultSASSAFRAS

4.6b UIM | UIM KOTS Winner | Fastest to MAX Winner | First Maxed HCUIM

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:33 AM #4

God
Group Ironman

God
Clan: #SEA

• Time spent:
      45d 12h 17m 51s

• Total level:
    Awards

Hello, I'll be giving you MY CONSTRUCTIVE criticism today in response to your thread.

1. I'm obviously not the best person to disagree with this one. But, It goes much deeper than even you know in terms of what it messes up behind the scenes when a name change happens. I believe Omicron looked into it briefly and with our current system it would be catastrophic for the current and even future staff teams to start allowing players to switch names. I'm not saying it's "Ok" to allow certain people (Admins in this case) name changes, But as you mention later in your post, It could be seen as a way of "Showing appreciation" to us.

2. I really don't get the issue with holding a member title on multiple accounts. It gives no benefits. It's completely cosmetic. If I could edit my own ranks on here I'd remove it from every single account I own as it gives NO BENEFITS.

3. Staff members being treated differently is something I take issue with you saying. Staff members would only be "treated differently" once they find their niche. (Such as @Paine with me). Because that's how you build a stronger well-rounded team. It's human nature to "treat people differently" based on their actions, their efforts, and their overall vibe. I can honestly say there's not been a single staff member I would not help regardless of my feelings towards them, which makes who I "like more" completely irrelevant. There's been people I disliked on the team before, But I did and will continue to always have their back regardless as we are a team.

4. Which brings me to this point. Boy, This one is gonna be a nice one.

Lacking of giving credit.

This might be the biggest bullshit of your post. We (Higher ups+) CONSTANTLY give out comments to boost ALL staff members confidence and to show them that in any situation we are here. Most of the time I do it it's in PM because nobody needs to see the message other than the person getting the praise them self.

The issue with your case: You got promoted (After whining each and every staff update) then did nothing. I'm not sure what comments I can give on little to no effort.

When you were given VERY soft constructive criticism you always defaulted to ignoring the mistake/criticism and hid away instead of battling back.

In fact, Your resignation came from VERY soft criticism about a tiny overlook that you did. Nothing major at all, But, In an effort to build a better team, someone pointed out your mistake hoping you'd get it next time. Instead you resigned and left.

To single out a very specific sentence of yours btw:

"But, you can point out bad things in a good way instead of screaming and yelling at people"

Here is the screenshot of the as you put it "Screaming and yelling" that lead to your resignation that day: (There's a link blocked out, No extra words)

https://gyazo.com/f0...dc3432c86823ebd

I see very soft and friendly criticism so that you learn and improve. If you think that's yelling and screaming, Clearly you've never been in the staff chat in the old days when people would ruin something I was working on.

Now, Before this looks mean; Please remember in your original post you have "I have pointed out criticism on this thread, so feel free to do the same to me either in pm's or below."

So there you go.

Looking forward to your response,

Josh

Posted Image

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:00 AM #5

Champ
Veteran

Champ

• Time spent:
      526d 17h 16m 52s

• Previous username:
    Iron Champie

• Total level:
    Awards

Hello @God (Josh)

Thank for an in depth response and I appreciate your honesty.

I don't mind Administrators being given an appreciation gift such a name changing. I do however think its wrong that you tell people all the time that there is no possible way to do name changes and then you do it to your own accounts. Specify somewhere that "We currently do not offer name changes for players on Alora, however Administrators are allowed to change their name as a sign of appreciation" or something along those lines.

You know it was brought up whether we should allow players to have the Veteran rank on multiple accounts if the accounts had all of the requirements. I said we should allow people as it does not do anything, but it was declined and we agreed that players should only be able to have the Veteran rank on 1 account at a time, but for some reason Administrators can have them on multiple accounts?

I can't go too much in dept on this one as it would leak information from the staff team which I would never do.

My resignation was not based purely on a single person ( not sure if he wants me to mention his name ) pointing out one of my mistakes. He did the right thing. I should've resigned many months ago as I've never felt welcomed on the staff team but I honestly couldn't. 

I'd be happy to elaborate on #3 in your pm's if you really want me to. Thank you once again for an in depth response and your honesty.

champtransparent.gif
Signature made by the wonderful Sunnii

Community Awards

Spoiler

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:40 AM #6

God
Group Ironman

God
Clan: #SEA

• Time spent:
      45d 12h 17m 51s

• Total level:
    Awards

Firstly, I never tell people the name changes aren’t possible. I tell them the truth that it fucks up a lot of things behind the scenes and it’s simply not a realistic thing that we can offer in mass quantity. Once again, you don’t know what occurs for name changes so your little sentence of “except admins can have it” proves that you just wish to be petty instead of actually target an issue.

The veteran thing, once again since I obviously have to repeat myself. Why does it matter at all if people have a cosmetic member title? Please list me the negatives as to what benefits I gain over you while holding two veteran titles. Let’s not forget, you don’t even meet the requirements of a veteran. You got it for being a G-mod. So if we’re gonna mention favorites, let’s mention yours aswell.

Third thing, I’d genuinely love to hear what you have to say on this. With proof. You have my discord and can PM me on forums.

I said “this lead to” your resignation that day. I never said it was the sole reason. If you felt uncomfortable there was nothing stopping you from resigning sooner. Instead of talking to people and asking for direction or help within the staff team you sat quiet and felt out of place. There are some AMAZING leaders in the staff team that could have helped you feel more comfortable and “in place”. But we can’t fix an issue that we don’t know exists. So the blame isn’t solely on us.

Posted Image

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:00 AM #7

Wii
Donator

Wii

• Time spent:
      16d 16h 23m 30s

• Total level:
    Awards

To be honnest i'm not gonna comment on your post since i've never been on staff team and I don't know how it is there but I dont think you should wash your dirty laundry on a public post like that... Even if you said your point is not to start a witch hunt it really look like it is. Ive ever seen you like a respected player but now you are loosing a lot of credibility with that post. You should really make a private group with the people that are concerned and debate your points there!

Btw, no grudge sir!

LlLgxNI.png

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:53 PM #8

Draisaitl
Ironman

Draisaitl
Clan: #ICE

• Time spent:
      30d 20h 18m 42s

• Previous username:
    Fenrir

• Total level:
    Awards
I'm just gonna go ahead and piggyback the way God addressed your thread and take them point by point. A few of your points are fair, but I feel the need to write out a detailed response regarding the ones that simply aren't fair to the Staff Team. Especially those who gave you a shot during a time when maybe we shouldn't have. So let's begin.

1. Name changes; fair. This is true that some higher up Staff Members have seen name changes including myself. At the moment, we do not offer them to our players because, as God stated, this would cause many issues in the backend not only for us but for future staff members in terms of tracking things that the Staff Team has to keep track of in order to remain consistent and efficient in the way we do things. However, the discussion has come up multiple times with Omicron about offering them and we're, over time, trying to figure out a way to make this available for players in a way that doesn't hinder the backend of things as I stated above. We've had multiple discussions about it among the higher up staff and I'm confident that at some point in the future we will be able to offer it. 

2. It's true, each player may only have the Veteran Rank on one account at a time and no exceptions are made, including Administrators. This rank, however, has 0 impact on the games or the forums and it is merely cosmetic. That being said, it's not a huge deal. Just for the sake of fairness and transparency, I will personally go through tonight and weed out any duplicate veteran ranks that I come across.

3. This is where we're going to start disagreeing. I'd like for you to give examples of who we were singling out and treating differently. Obviously not everyone is going to be treated the EXACT same because we're not robots and every Staff Member has their own personality as well as some (mostly higher-ups) having their niches for more advanced rule infractions. However I simply don't understand where you're getting the impression that we as a team single people out and treat them poorly than everyone else simply because we don't like them. Especially coming from you, which I'll get into in the final point.

4. Okay, listen. The Staff Team is not a bunch of kindergarteners. Most of us are full grown adults and those who aren't are mature enough to understand this. We're not going to praise every little thing everyone does right because we all know that we have each others backs at the end of the day, but I guess you missed that memo. Which is sad because we did a lot for you. We NEVER point out another staff member's mistakes just to be mean, it's always with the intention and hope that they'll learn from it and will get it right in the future. That's how we grow. It's apparent to me now that you were never capable of that. 

You were a forum moderator and for months, you whined about not getting promoted. Don't get me wrong, you worked for it. But I've been on the team for well over a year and I've never seen that type of behavior from anyone. This should have been a warning for us but instead we gave you a chance and promoted you to Global Mod anyways because you were working hard and we felt you wanted it. However, as God said, you just stopped after getting promoted. Moving from Forum Mod to Global Mod is a big step because you're not only moving up a rank, you've now become a higher up which means you now have MANY more responsibilities as well as play a MAJOR role in the community. This being said, as a higher up you should not need your hand held in order to make a contribution. We said to you multiple times that you could come to any of us once you've decided what area you'd be interested in or had any questions/concerns and needed help with anything, but the questions never came. So the blame is not on us.

All my time on the team, I've never had anyone complain about this issue other than you and one other person (we both know who I'm referring to). Regardless, I'll see to it that I personally figure out if anyone else on the team feels that way and find a way to resolve that. We of course appreciate the time you spent on the team and the work you put in, but the grounds which you resigned on are no secret to us.

Posted Image

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:07 AM #9

Immortal Fox
Veteran

Immortal Fox
Clan: #Cheeselog

• Time spent:
      133d 21h 33m 39s

• Total level:
    Awards

Spent a decent amount of time on the team and have also joined other teams since and can confidently say without a second thought that the higher ups (Global Moderators+) on Alora are the strongest I've ever had the pleasure of working with. I didn't mention Moderators/Server Supports because the players at these ranks often change through resignations and what not so I've mentioned GMOD+ because I've worked with each and every one of them at some point in time. 

(1 & 2) Personally I don't see this as an issue. If anything it's a perk of the rank and deservedly so given the amount of hard work and dedication any one of Alora's Administrators have put forth and continue to do so throughout their tenure. Same goes for point 2, the Administrators are the definition of Veteran Alora players. Not only do they have sound in-game knowledge and extensive play times but they're also the most battle tested Staff members on the team, hence the rank. If they want to add the Veteran rank to their alternate accounts, so be it. It's not the end of the world if there are a few Administrative perks, given it's a volunteer role. 

(3 & 4) I understand what you're referring to. For normal players reading this, I'll put it like this. Basically when you're on the team there are a few users who become specialists in a certain field. Every now and then a Staff member finds themselves a niche, and typically they'll handle mostly cases within this "field" and over the course of a few months handling/investigating cases within their niche they'll become experts. Some niche's are more difficult than others, so obviously a member who specializes in a more complicated niche will naturally receive more positive reactions from other members. 

During my time on the team, Administrators would often message the whole team as a collective to give praise/thanks for the effort we all put in. It won't be hard to find evidence of this via the search function on Discord. It's a volunteer role, and every member of the team is a vital asset so don't think for a second that the higher-ups take the lower ranks for granted.

I've never understood this mindset of wanting "praise and pats on the back" for every little thing you do. There have been a few members with this mindset who've left the team and expected a big farewell party with balloons and fireworks, and infinite gratitude hence forth for the work they've done. Personally I label these users as Staff hunters who're merely in it for clout or whatever the hell else it is they drool over. I say this because we have members like King Purple who go above and beyond for Alora but you'll NEVER hear him ask for praise/recognition, or feel disheartened because he didn't receive a pat on the back. He does what he does out of passion and love for the Server and its community.

I made several mistakes while I was on the team and was by no measure a perfect Global Moderator but that's how you improve. I can't even take the point you made seriously because I worked alongside Paine who probably took the most flack I've ever seen over mistakes he made during his earlier days as a Staff member. He always handled it perfectly, he'd apologize, learn from it and never repeat it again. Low and behold he's probably the best GMOD I've ever worked with and his rise to that point wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. Own up to your mistakes, learn from it and move on. If you see every time you get "told off" as a personal attack you'll never get anywhere.

Posted Image

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:45 PM #10

MT
Veteran

MT
Clan: #ICE

• Time spent:
      120d 12h 9m 46s

• Previous username:
    Moral Truth

• Total level:
    Awards

For #1, as what the other staff members have said, name changing consists of a pretty complicated process. If players had the ability to change their names, it would do more harm than good on the backend. Limiting it to admins for now seems fair until an easier and better method arises for name changes.

For #2, the Veteran rank is cosmetic and does not give you any benefits other than just a title in-game and in the forums. The rules do state that only one account that you own can have the rank, but I would not mind if said rule changes so that it is consistent with how said rank is given to players with multiple accounts.

For #3, I can somewhat understand where you are coming from. Surely, each member of the staff team have their own niche(s) that they are strong in. Sometimes mistakes are made. I have made mistakes in the past as a server moderator which lead to my demotion, and eventually I was brought back in a month later as a permanent server support. Throughout my time as a staff member so far, I was not treated unfairly (even as a vegan), and I have not seen any other staff member be treated unfairly for their action(s) and/or unpopular opinions. If a mistake is made, it will be pointed out (with me it was via PMs with an admin). I learned from my mistakes, and I used that month to self-reflect and enjoy Alora as a player and helper in the community. We joke around with each other at times, but in the end, we are a team and we help and support one another.

And lastly with #4, the staff team do appreciate each other for their efforts and hard work. Not every day (that would be excessive), but at least once a week or so. Going back to #3, when I got demoted, an admin got in touch with me to see how I was doing and eventually asked me if it was cool to come back as a permanent server support. The staff team appreciates me for being a helper and answering questions in-game, in the forums, and on Discord. If they did not appreciate me at all for volunteering my time here, then I would have never been given this second chance to come back. I never asked for appreciation, I never asked to come back, and I never asked for promotions. I simply did what I was supposed do with my respective role in the staff team, learned from my mistakes, and then I gladly accepted the opportunity that I have now. The staff team has been pretty strong this year, and I appreciate the entire team (and the ex-staff) for their work on the team. Our purpose is to keep Alora the #1 RSPS with a #1 community and the events that come with it, and I feel that we have been successful with these thus far.

Thank you for posting this topic and sharing your perspective of the staff team. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors.

KyqkXZi.png

Signature by Dr Dee Are E

Promoted to Server Support on November 7th, 2018.

Promoted to Server Moderator on January 1st, 2019.

Demoted from Server Moderator on May 10th, 2019.

Promoted to Server Support on June 2nd, 2019.

Resigned from Server Support on July 15th, 2020.

Official Alora Rules

Support Section | Appeal | Bug Report | Player Report

2FA Setup | Vote | Guides | Updates | Knowledge Base | Highscores

All Accounts

Spoiler

Community Awards

Spoiler

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:01 AM #11

Moe
Community Manager

Moe

• Time spent:
      245d 20h 35m 4s

• Previous username:
    IM Moe

• Total level:
    Awards
Hey @Iron Champie so I am going to reply to you, as I thought our conversation assisted you after you resigned. I guess it did not, but hey let's at least give the people the truth.

So I am speaking as a Global Moderator, you know twice in two different periods (with different members on the team). 

1. This happens in extreme rare cases, even for players (and you know this). I'm not going to sit and mention what has been said before, but this doesn't hurt anyone or the community.

2. The admins don't do this on purpose, and it has been explained. Heck, you were even there when I asked about being able to apply for two Veterans if you have the requirements on both accounts...It was a no for staff (all of us) and regular players.

3. I would love to see some evidence of this, because I can assure you when I first joined I had NO SUPPORT except from the big man and Josh/Hellish. It took me 2 months to earn the respect of some, and to show that I could be trusted. Once I was seen as someone who isn't trying to hunt for staff or cause a problem, than I was treated 'different'. But you should know that staff have to be cautious, because Alora is a pretty big game. You don't want someone who is malicious on the team, or is wasting everyone's time. I'm sorry you felt this way, but I explained to you privately how you should have treated your situation. I even explained to you that it's tough love, and no one treats it as anything else. If it was such an obvious difference in treatment, wouldn't everyone complain?

4. This is a lie, and everyone from the past and new members can confirm this. The staff team from all levels support each other and show gratification, just because it is not said every day does not mean it does not happen. Credit is given where credit is due, and to be honest I'm upset you got promo'd. I was fighting for that rank the same time as you, and you were given the shot. In the end I was right, because you took the rank and did nothing but assist in minor things. You went inactive for the main duties as a staff member. 

You didn't deserve to be a Global Moderator, and I wish you had been more mature about your situation. You can't do this at a real life job, it's called just being a quitter. I wish you best of luck with your future endeavors. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:37 AM #12

Detharrow26
Immortal Donator

Detharrow26

• Time spent:
      117d 11h 2m 50s

• Total level:
    Awards

Thank you for taking your time and writing this, posts like this makes people feel more accountable and as a result we end up having a better staff team.

I definitely agree with 1. and 2. The double standard is unacceptable, cosmetic or not.

Can't really comment on 3. but seems to me as being true BUT not a bad thing tbh - equality in that sense would be impossible/undesirable 

4. Don't really agree, but even if it were true, that's just normal human behavior, people always will point out a bad thing immediately relatively to a good thing.

All in all I'm very happy with the staff team on Alora, best staff team I've ever encountered on a RSPS. That said I'm still happy to see staff feed backs like this one cos everyone wins in the sense that any bad behavior is brought to light and fixed, while also making sure everyone is or feels accountable which leads to less corruption.

To be honnest i'm not gonna comment on your post since i've never been on staff team and I don't know how it is there but I dont think you should wash your dirty laundry on a public post like that... Even if you said your point is not to start a witch hunt it really look like it is. Ive ever seen you like a respected player but now you are loosing a lot of credibility with that post. You should really make a private group with the people that are concerned and debate your points there!

Btw, no grudge sir!

This is literally a section intended for community feedback, it's a perfect place for the points that are being mentioned. You really want a world where any feedback can't or won't be said publicly? 

T.O.B. Lootations:

Spoiler

Road to ALL Pets - Click Here

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:04 AM #13

Rune Coon
Banned

Rune Coon

• Time spent:
      9d 31m 43s

• Total level:
They also cater to “popular” players, when it comes to namechanges

My username for the first 6 months of my account was “ragragrag69”
And one day I teleported to KBD and ran past the real ragrag.

Shortly after, Salter teleported to me and said “pick a new name”
And made me change it, all because a normal player didn’t like my name.
Posted Image

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:39 AM #14

Friendly Dog
Elite Ironman

Friendly Dog
Clan: Wu Tang

• Time spent:
      6d 11h 1m 34s

• Total level:
    Awards

They also cater to “popular” players, when it comes to namechanges

My username for the first 6 months of my account was “ragragrag69”
And one day I teleported to KBD and ran past the real ragrag.

Shortly after, Salter teleported to me and said “pick a new name”
And made me change it, all because a normal player didn’t like my name.

That sounds more like friendly advice as opposed to making you to change it, Also on the bright side you're now called rune coon and no ones complaining. 

C3lJXEv.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 133 user(s)